I want to start of this post with an apology for not posting yesterday. Life in the form of academics got in the way, I barely have time to up this one. My brain is five to shutting down so I decided to put up yesterday’s post.
A few weeks ago i took to Twitter, a cry that I have been crying since October; I want Panashe Chigumazi’s debut novel Sweet Medicine. A knight in shining armour came in the form of my crush (one of the many i have, but this one ranks higher than all lol) who promised to buy it for me. This and the call I got from Exclusive Books earlier this week that the copy of Sweet Medicine I had ordered was finally available inspired this post.
Anyone who knows me knows that other than food and make up one other thing that makes me happy is books. This Sunday spoil your crush with books, and if you are a nice person and all you can post box me some too for giving you tips.
I decided to make a small list of books to get your crush this month. Its mainly based on books on my To Read list\ Wishlist and from recommendations from friends. Trust me, you cannot go wrong with getting a booklover books.
Here it goes;
- This list wouldn’t be complete without Sweet Medicine. Guys, seriously GO BUY YOU AND YOUR CRUSH THIS BOOK. Go bond over drinks and this books. Trust me, you won’t regret it.
- God Bless The Child- Toni Morrison asks this question: what do we do with the sins of the child when that child’s sins were engendered by a force against which she was powerless? It is a coming of age story deeply rooted in blackness. I think it would make a wonderful gift with it being Black History month and all for some. I feel even though we dont really celebrate Black History month as Africans anything to do with race and the challenges that come with being black affect us. This is why this is a perfect novel to cuddle with.3
- Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma received excellent reviews and one of which I truly trust is by my friend Ope. She like me is a lover of books whose apartment is probably filled with more African literature than law textbooks. I wouldn’t have it any other way though. Ope raved about Fishermen and made me download the ungenerous sample Kindle gives you(because I’m too broke to buy the whole book). Anyway I LOVED the sample and belief its a wonderful story. Go buy a copy for your crush and me too and stuff haha. Fishermen has hailed as being an elegy to lost promise, to a golden age squandered, and yet it remains hopeful about the redemptive possibilities of a new generation.
- An “oldie but a goodie” that should definitely be on this list is Half of A Yellow sun. Chimamanda writes a beautiful story of love and war and loss and so many other things. I could go on and on about it. I have read it over 5 times, but each time someone mentions it i want to re-read it.
- The last book you should get for me and your crush, or me if its one person-no pressure is Coconut by Kopano Matlwa. Beautifully written with an equally beautiful plot. Read this almost two years ago and lost my copy to friends who borrow but never return-you guys should seriously fall. My heart aches each time i see it in bookstore shelves. Do best and get this for me and your crush and stuff *winks*